network plan and configuration management ?

Jo ml at winfix.IT
Tue Oct 19 08:04:25 CEST 2004

Andre Schmidt wrote:

>hello nagios community,
>
>i am on the last week of my internship and i finally got time for my project
>work "Network monitoring with Nagios".
>
>installation and tests are all done and now it's time for configuration.
>
>as i'm not experienced with big(~100 hosts) networks, i wanted to ask you
>about some concrete methods on doing things.
>
>how do you create the network plan ?
>how do you convert the plan to nagios configuration files ?
>how do you visualize the network plan (for documentation) ?
>how do you manage your nagios configuration files ?
>
>thank you,
>andre

Hello André,

I just started using Nagios about a week ago. It's great to see all the
things it can check upon and it's great to tweak it to do what we need.
It will take you more than a week to get it all set up though, I'm afraid.

1. What I did to create the network plan is to make an inventory of all
the machines that are on the same local subnet as. Those don't need a
"parents=" line.
Then you have a look at your default gateway. Give the Nagios server as
its parent. We have a web server in the DMZ, so that gets the default
gateway as its parent. We have an off site location. Its router also
gets the default gateway as its parent. All the servers that are on this
location get that router as its parent.
To check for internet connectivity, I defined the outgoing router. Its
parent is our default gateway. Then I do http checks on some web sites
on the internet.

2. Experiment. Start small and extend from there.

3. Under monitoring, there is a link/button "Status Map". That gives a
nice little map of the situation.

4. They are text files. I just use vi through ssh.

Jo