disk usage thru check_by_ssh

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Mon Oct 18 05:32:11 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 11:14:26AM +0800, icedtea wrote:
>> I would like to check my disk usage on all the servers im using thrue
>> check_by_ssh and declare the command 'df -h' so i could see the status
>> of all my partitions. I dont like to use snmp. is this possible? so
>> far my setup is check_by_ssh then check_disk plugin on the remote
>> server but i can only declare 1 partition. I would like to check all
>> the partitions if it is possible.
> is it also possible to declare external commands like 'top' or 'df'
> thru check_by_ssh?

You might want to consider reading the documentation before you
post to the list.

To briefly answer your questions - check_disk, if you omit the path
parameter, will check all partitions on the system against the warning
and critical thresholds you specify.  Alternatively, just add a service
for each disk to check the appropriate path.  If you have standardised
partitioning schemes, you can add the service checks to multiple hosts
easily using hostgroups.  See the documentation for more info on that.

For arbitrary commands, Nagios requires the check commands (plugins)
to produce very specific output - that is, one line of text which is
shown to users via the web interface & notification commands, and a
status code which tells Nagios what state the host/service is in.
0 is for okay, 1 for warning, 2 for critical.  You can't just run an
arbitrary program and expect Nagios to magically know what its output
means in terms of the status of a host.

For 'top', look at either check_load or check_procs, depending on
what you're trying to monitor.