Nagios 2.0 featurelist?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 14 15:20:39 CEST 2004

Dag Bakke wrote:
> Is there a more or less complete list of new features in Nagios 2.0?

It's in the 'Upcoming' section.

> I have just started playing with Nagios, and from looking at the
> demo site (which I assume is ver 1.2), there are a few things in
> particular I would love to see.
>
> I would like to have a custom context menu for each icon in the
> "Status Map" view.
>
> This menu could contain the entry 'Configure', which would spawn the
> executable (telnet://, anyone?) defined in the template for this
> type of host (or service).

Supported via hostextinfo and notes_url (Nagios 2.0 also has action_url,
which is supposed to be replace this, sort of).

> It should be possible to feed the executable parameters, so one could
> feed it for example the IPaddress of the host.

Supported, via the $HOSTADDRESS$ macro which is expanded for hostextinfo
objects.

> Having a 'Traps' entry which would display the last 10/50/100/all SNMP
> traps received from this host would be useful as well.

Not supported, but pretty trivial to hack up by yourself, provided you
have the traps logged on your server.

> There are plenty of crossbrowser "custom context menu" examples around.
> The Lotus Notes web frontend makes extensive use of it.
>
> Other examples
> http://www.cgi-bin.com/cgi-bin/jump2.cgi?ID=5386
> http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/jsdomenu/
>

> Does this hold sufficient 'hack value' (for someone with the necessary
> skills) to play with?

Not really. Adding javascript code to the CGI's wouldn't exactly require
a lot of skill, so feel free to do so if you like. All you need is
pretty much the real_html_url_path variable (a global, I think) and a
couple of lines of printf(). Not exactly earthshakingly innovative
either, so I'm sure pretty much anyone should be able to do it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer