Nagios 2.0 hanging on startup, consuming 99% CPU

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Oct 13 17:59:42 CEST 2004

Jason Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 10:04:47AM -0400, Daniel maher wrote:
>
>>That's where it hangs and eats the processor.  I let it sit
>>for about 10 minutes before finally ctrl-c'ing out.  The
>>symptoms are easily reproducible.  Here is the *only* contact
>>definition in my contacts.cfg:
>
> Does it exhibit the behavior if you add another contact? I seem
> to recall a list posting about a bug in the circular-dependency
> code that occured if there is only one object. I think  a patch
> was posted as well.

That's somewhat correct. It's not a circular dependency, but rather a
linked list circularity where Nagios doesn't check if ->next is first,
so to speak, so it parses the same object over and over again.
I too remember someone crude-hacking their way around this, but I can't
say for sure it will fix the problem or not.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer