Nagios 2.0 hanging on startup, consuming 99% CPU

Daniel maher dmaher at acetechnology.com
Wed Oct 13 16:04:47 CEST 2004

Hello all,

I grabbed the 2.x CVS release yesterday.  Nagios compiled clean, much to my delight.  After reading through the changelog and making the required edits to my 1.x config files, I started Nagios up.  Unfortunately, it hung.  A quick look at top showed that it was consuming 99% CPU while it was hung.  I ctrl-c'd out, and checked the logfiles.  syslog had only the following entries:

Oct 13 09:45:09 am2dev nagios: Nagios 2.0a1 starting... (PID=31022)

Oct 13 09:45:09 am2dev nagios: LOG VERSION: 2.0

I ran the config file syntax checker (nagios -v), and received the following output:

Nagios 2.0a1

Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)

Last Modified: 11-18-2003

License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...

        Checked 8 services.

Checking hosts...

        Checked 4 hosts.

Checking host groups...

        Checked 3 host groups.

Checking service groups...

        Checked 0 service groups.

Checking contacts...

That's where it hangs and eats the processor.  I let it sit for about 10 minutes before finally ctrl-c'ing out.  The symptoms are easily reproducible.  Here is the *only* contact definition in my contacts.cfg:

define contact{

        contact_name                    nagios

        alias                           Nagios Admin

        service_notification_period     24x7

        host_notification_period        24x7

        service_notification_options    w,u,c,r

        host_notification_options       d,u,r

        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email

        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email

        email                           dmaher at acetechnology.com

        }

Does anybody have any ideas?

--