Who is using Nagios 2.0?

jeff vier boinger at tradingtechnologies.com
Mon Oct 11 16:06:27 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 15:41 +1000, Greg Vickers wrote:
> I'm wondering who is using Nagios 2.0 in a production environment? Our
> Nagios 1.2 installation is chugging pretty badly (well, the web server
> is anyway, when web information is requested) with 7,500 services (the
> traversal algorithms, right?) and I am going to split off the ~5000 lab
> host services onto a separate (and less powerful) server.
> I understand that Nagios 2.0 has much faster traversal algorithms and so
> (hopefully) will be just as fast if not faster on the second server.

I upgraded to 2.0 very early in the process due to some specific
features that made it very attractive (and I have the programming skills
to fix things if something acts "wrongly" if I need to).  It has been
pretty much rock-solid from the beginning, quite surprisingly.

Your set up sound considerably larger than ours.  I cover ~450 hosts
with ~2230 services, and I have a geographically distributed system
(both for off-loading of the central server as well as networking
requirements), so I can't say how our performance will compare.

here are my stats, though:
			min      max       avg
services:
Check Execution Time:	0.00 sec 15.39 sec 2.543 sec
Check Latency:		0.00 sec 606.13 sec 2.851 sec
hosts:
Check Execution Time:	0.00 sec 5.08 sec 4.019 sec
Check Latency:		0.00 sec 8.03 sec 0.068 sec

> Just wondering how many ppl are using 2.0 (feel free to drop me a direct
> line rather than replying to the list) and how you've gone with the CVS
> snapshots?

I pull from cvs and rebuild quite regularly.  Only a few times have I
had to roll-back a cvs build (I keep the previously working version
around for a few days/weeks/until-i-remember-to-delete-it.