Ping alive check thru nagios

Hendrik B b00mer at gmx.net
Sun Oct 10 20:58:42 CEST 2004

Guten Tag Pankaj Bafana,

am Sonntag, 10. Oktober 2004 um 19:28 schrieben Sie:

PB> Does nagios requires any plugin to check simple ping host alive.
PB> I am new to nagios just got nagios installed with web interface up.
PB> It shows "Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing"

PB> Pankaj

Hi and welcome to Nagios,

you have to define a check command in your services.cfg and in your
checkcommands.cfg.

#checkcommands.cfg
# 'check_ping' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_ping
        command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 10:20% -c 60:100%
        }

#services.cfg
#'TEST' host definitions
define service{
        host_name       TEST
        service_description     PING
        is_volatile     0
        check_period    24x7
        check_command   check_ping
        max_check_attempts      4
        notification_interval   3600
        notification_period     24x7
        obsess_over_service     1
        notifications_enabled   1
        notification_options    r,c
        normal_check_interval   600
        retry_check_interval    1
        contact_groups  admin
        }

just have a look at the realy good documentation!

The checkcommand 'check_ping' fires up a plugin stored in
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_plugin, the special about this
plugins is, that they returns values between -1 and 2 (i think) which
stands for UNKNOWN, CRITICAL, WARNING and OK. These Return-Codes are
"readable" by the Nagios Process.

Hope this helps a little.

Best regards,
Hendrik