Fixing Nagios' email alerts

Phil Dibowitz phil at usc.edu
Fri Oct 8 20:53:33 CEST 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 09:21:05AM -0500, jeff vier wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 06:20 -0500, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
> > > If the To field isn't set, you wouldn't get any notifications.
> > > Read the manpage for your system's mail command and check your syntax
> > of
> > > the notification command.
> > You're thinking envelope headers, I'm thinking message headers.
>
> What?  The "To" field works the same regardless the message being
> electronic or dead-tree.
>
> If it's not *to* anyone, how would it possibly be delivered?

::sigh::
> helo metallica.usc.edu
> MAIL FROM: phil at usc.edu
> RCPT TO: phil at usc.edu
> DATA
> bla
> .
250 2.5.0 OK

Which has an envelope TO, but no body TO. WHich gets delievered but shows up
as:  "To: undisclosed-reciepients" (or similar depending on MTAs it hits)

and:
telnet your.mail.host 25
> helo metallica.usc.edu
> MAIL FROM: phil at usc.edu
> RCPT TO: phil at usc.edu
> DATA
> To: Phil Dibowitz <phil at usc.edu>
> From: Phil Dibowitz <phil at usc.edu>
> Subject: This is a test.
>
> This is some data
> .
250 2.5.0 OK

Which will have a To field your MUA sees and a subject. mailx takes care of
that for you, while mail (on solaris) does not.

--
Phil Dibowitz
Systems Architect and Administrator