Nagios Usermanagement

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Oct 8 12:11:11 CEST 2004

Florian Beese wrote:
> hello,
>
> I got a question on the nagius user-management. As described you can assign
> contactgroups to hostgroups, so that just persons added to that contactgroup
> can view information on hosts of this hostgroup (using
> contact_groups "myhostgroup" in hostgroups.cfg).
>
> This doesn't realy work properly in our installation as I am still allowed as
> ClientAdmin to view the services of Server-Machines, which are in the group
> servers and as their contactgroup is "server-admins" and not "win-admins".
>
> When I watch the "Host Detail" at the nagios webinterface I can just see the
> windows-clients and in all other related pages like "Status Summary"
> and "Status Overview" aso... , but in the "Service Detail" I can view all
> services for all hosts.
>
> When I click on the "host"(-name) of the hosts, that I shouldn't be allowed to
> view, I get an access violation like "It appears as though you do not have
> permission to view information for this host..." and so on, but when I click on
> the service (in this case "Ping" for testing), I can access the "service state
> information" which also contains a lot of information on the host (server).
>
> I don't think that this should be possible! How can I avoid getting this bug? I
> just want the nagios users to be able to view machines they are related to in
> the webinterface.

It's not a bug. Services have their own contactgroups. If you're in the
service contactgroup but not the host, the only page you won't be able
to see is the extinfo page for the host (and I imagine the
Host/Hostgruop detail should leave a few out). This is sort of proper,
since you pretty much have to know the host is there if you're
administering the services available on it, don't you think?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer