Newbie: chech_ssh not defined

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Oct 5 16:26:45 CEST 2004

----Original Message----
From: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Josiah
Ritchie
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 7:43 AM To:
nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Newbie: chech_ssh not defined

> I'm messing around with Nagios and am really impressed. Most of what
I've
> done has simply been editing the default config. I tried to add a
service
> check like this:
>
> # Service definition
> define service{
>         use                             generic-service         ; Name
of
> service template to use
>
>         host_name                       nathan
>         service_description             SSH
>         is_volatile                     0
>         check_period                    24x7
>         max_check_attempts              3
>         normal_check_interval           5
>         retry_check_interval            1
>         contact_groups                  admins
>         notification_interval           120
>         notification_period             24x7
>         notification_options            c,r
>         check_command                   check_ssh
>         }
>
> and when I check the config, get this:
>
> Error: Service check command 'check_ssh' specified in service 'SSH'
for host
> 'nathan' not defined anywhere!
>
> Where do I need to define this. I thought maybe in my miscommands.cfg,
but
> that wasn't it.

Every check_command that you use must be defined somewhere, typically in
[mis]commands.cfg. There are not example command definitions created for
all the plugins so there will be some you need to create yourself,
especially if/when you start creating your own checks. This is one of
those it seems. Your command definition will look something like:

# 'check_ssh' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_ssh
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ssh $HOSTADDRESS$ -t 30
        }

You can of course modify it to suit your needs. Run
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ssh --help to see what command line
arguments it understands and their meaning.

--
Marc