Newbie: chech_ssh not defined

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Tue Oct 5 14:42:56 CEST 2004

I'm messing around with Nagios and am really impressed. Most of what I've
done has simply been editing the default config. I tried to add a service
check like this:

# Service definition
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use

        host_name                       nathan
        service_description             SSH
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_ssh
        }

and when I check the config, get this:

Error: Service check command 'check_ssh' specified in service 'SSH' for
host 'nathan' not defined anywhere!

Where do I need to define this. I thought maybe in my miscommands.cfg, but
that wasn't it.

I expect that one of you guys sitting around waiting to answer an easy one
while gleaning from the lists wisdom can answer this. Thank you for your
time.

I'm running Gentoo with almost all the plugins installed from portage. I
searched for check_ssh and found it @ /usr/nagios/libexec/check_ssh.

check_ping is in 2 places, but I'm guessing the contrib is extra:
/usr/nagios/libexec/check_ping
/usr/nagios/libexec/contrib/aix/check_ping

JSR/