Monitoring SMB shares?

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Tue Oct 5 04:57:52 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 10:24:45AM +0200, Xavier wrote:

> After a undetected incident this weekend, our management asked to
> monitor something special:
>
> A windows client copies files to a SMB share (W2K server).
> Once processed by another application, files are removed.
> The client is a "blackbox" for us, so we would like to be notified
> when no new files are stored on the share.
>
> Question: how? Possible?

This should be pretty easy to do with smbclient from Samba and a
bit of scripting.  The only issue I think you're likely to run
into is if the server requires encrypted connections.  Our 2k3
domain controllers require this so I can't connect to them from
the Linux machines, but the 2k3 workstations are fine.  I did
read somewhere about the CIFS driver supporting this stuff.

You could also mount the share using smbfs or cifs, and then
just check the files with ls or expand a shell glob.