lame service dependency

Scott Barber scott.barber at tonservices.com
Mon Oct 4 23:37:32 CEST 2004

I've looked around and never found any details about an unusual error
I'm getting:

Warning: Ignoring lame service dependency (config file
'/usr/local/nagios/etc/master_list.cfg', line 148)

Not sure what "lame service dependency" means. Any guesses?

Below is my config file:

##-----------------------------------------------------------

## This is the generic host config for the devices at the plazas
define host {
     name                            plaza-hosts
     notifications_enabled           0
     notification_interval           20
     notification_period             24x7
     notification_options            d,u,r
     register                        0
     checks_enabled                  0   ; Turns off just the hosts checks?
     max_check_attempts              1   ; Even if check_command is
blank this must be set to 1
     event_handler_enabled           0   ; We don't need to run anything
for the hosts going down - don't care!
     flap_detection_enabled          0   ; We don't do no stinking flap crap
     process_perf_data               0   ; No performance data needed -
turn off in nagios.cfg too
     retain_status_information       0   ; We don't care about hosts!
     retain_nonstatus_information    0   ; We don't care about hosts!
     }

## This is the generic service config for the devices at the plazas
define service {
     name                            plaza-services
     check_command                   check_tcp!80!-t 20!-c 20!-w 20
     service_description             TCP
     max_check_attempts              5   ; Checks 5 times before saying
it's down
     is_volatile                     0
     normal_check_interval           20  ; Time between regular checks
     retry_check_interval            5   ; Time between retries if not ok
     passive_checks_enabled          0   ; No remote checks here
     active_checks_enabled           1   ; All check are from Nagios itself
     parallelize_check               1
     obsess_over_service             0   ; Turned off cuz we're not
doing distributed monitoring
     check_freshness                 0   ; Not needed cuz we're not
doind passive monitoring
     notifications_enabled           0
     event_handler_enabled           0   ; Nothing to run if service
going up and down
     flap_detection_enabled          0   ; No flap crap!
     process_perf_data               0   ; No perf data needed
     retain_status_information       1
     retain_nonstatus_information    1
     check_period                    24x7
     contact_groups                  admin
     notification_interval           0
     notification_period             24x7
     register                        0
     }
define service {
     name                            provider-services
     check_command                   check_ping!5000,50%!9000,75%
     service_description             PING
[...]

## This is the generic service config for the minibawls at stand-alone sites
define service {
     name                            minibawls-services
     check_command                   check_http!-t 30!-c 30!-w 30
     service_description             HTTP
[...]

define hostgroup {
     hostgroup_name  plaza-144
     alias           144Stuff
     contact_groups  admin
     members         144-PRO, 144-MB
     }

## Location ID #144

## ----------
##  Provider
define host {
     use         plaza-hosts
     host_name   144-PRO
     alias       144-PRO
     address     10.254.106.129
     }

define service {
     use                 provider-services
     host_name           144-PRO
     service_description 144-PRO-SERVICE
     }
## ----------

## ----------
##  Minibawls
define host {
     use         plaza-hosts
     host_name   144-MB
     alias       144-MB
     address     198.70.1.207
     }

define service {
     use                 minibawls-services
     host_name           144-MB
     service_description 144-MB-SERVICE
     }

define hostdependency{
     host_name                       144-MB
     dependent_host_name             144-PRO
     notification_failure_criteria   d
     }

define servicedependency {
     dependent_host_name             144-PRO
     dependent_service_description   144-PRO-SERVICE

--
Scott Barber
TON Services, Inc.