Probme in output of CHECK_MAILQ

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Nov 27 09:43:48 CET 2004

Nilesh wrote:
> Tomasz Pilat wrote:
>
>> Hello Mr. linux admin,
>>
>> N> i enabled dont_blame_nrpe=1 and restarted xinetd again.
>> N> but still no luck ....
>>
>> N> same error ...
>>
>>> From nrpe.conf:
>>

>> # COMMAND ARGUMENT PROCESSING
>> # This option determines whether or not the NRPE daemon will allow
>> clients
>> # to specify arguments to commands that are executed.  This option
>> only works
>> # if the daemon was configured with the --enable-command-args
>> configure script
>>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> # option.
>>

> Ya did even that also.
> recompiled nrpe with --enable-command-args
> butnot luck
> i'm getting following error
> CHECK_NRPE: Error receiving data from daemon.
> for check_mailq only
> all other plugins are giving me proper output ..

That probably means that check_mailq prints some output to stderr, which
fucks NRPE up. What happens when you run the check_mailq command
manually exactly as it's typed in the nrpe.conf file when logged in as
the NRPE pseudo-user?
You can also try running it like this;

$command > /dev/null

($command being the real command line here). If you get any output at
all, that means you're getting some at stderr.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer