Help in Running Nrpe inside inetd with TCP Wrappers on FreeBSD.

Jan Scholten Jan.Scholten at iconz.net
Wed Nov 24 22:21:05 CET 2004

Mukarram Syed wrote:
> Jan.
> Thanks always for your responses.
> I did add gaia's IP address in the nrpe.cfg file and
> rebooted the system.
> I have enabled debug mode "debug=1" in the nrpe.cfg
> file restarted inetd, I am getting the following in
> the /var/log/messages:
>
> Nov 23 20:56:22 gaia nrpe[78179]: Unable to open
> config file '//nrpe.cfg' for reading
> Nov 23 20:56:22 gaia nrpe[78179]: Config file
> '//nrpe.cfg' contained errors, bailing out...
> Nov 23 20:56:27 gaia nrpe[78188]: Unable to open
> config file '//nrpe.cfg' for reading
> Nov 23 20:56:27 gaia nrpe[78188]: Config file
> '//nrpe.cfg' contained errors, bailing out...
>
> I have checked everything but I am sure there is
> something missing...Help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> -Mukarram.

Seems you need to edit the config file.

What have you changed?
Normally you only need to:
add the Server to allowed hosts and edit the check_commands.

The unable to open config file seems to be the problem. Where did you
locate the nrpe.cfg on the remote host? /root/ is bad as only root can
enter that directory.
/etc would be a good idea.
I don't know if you need to add gaias ip (is that the nagios server?),
you need to add the IP of the server where the check_nrpe command is
executed.

The logfile seems to tell that gaia is
a) not the server
or b) you have installed nrpe on the wrong machine.

You do not need to reboot Linux boxes.. just stop the nrpe daemon and
restart it.

Jan