nagios and mysql support problem

The Wolf thewolf at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 24 20:13:34 CET 2004

Hi all,
I am running Nagios 1.2 on RH Enterprise Linux 3 U3 i686.

I configured Nagios to store all data in a MySQL as explained in the
documentation:
<http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xdata-db.html>

Nagios will run fine for a few hours, then it will loose the connection
to the MySQL db and the following message will appear in the
'/var/log/messages' file:

---
Nov 23 17:54:30 myserver nagios: Error: Could not connect to MySQL
database 'nagios' on host '127.0.0.1' using username 'nagios' and
password 'mypassword'.  Retention data will not be processed or saved!
---

I verified with the 'mysql' command line client that the login info is
correct, it is obviously correct since I didn't change it! :-)

I even restarted Nagios and the MySQL server, no luck: still getting the
same error message about Nagios not being able to connect to the MySQL db.

The only way to get Nagios back to work is to empty all its db tables,
that is delete all the Nagios db records and start with empty tables.

This problem already happened three times in a day, I reverted to Nagios
without database support, but it would be great to figure out the
problem and run Nagios with db support for me.

Any idea on what could be the problem and how to fix it?

It looks like some data gets corrupted or something like that ...

Thanks a lot.