Some things don't work

Nathan Oyler noyler at khimetrics.com
Wed Nov 24 17:54:12 CET 2004

>You need to install nagios-plugins-nrpe, and nagios-nrpe

>When you call a plugin through linux, you use check_nrpe on the nagios
host machine and that calls the plugin on the remote box, so the plugin
must exist.

>Nagios-nrpe is the required service that must be running, and your
/etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg will be the file that you can give variables for
the plugin calls. Nrpe needs to be >running on the remote box.

>So if you wanted to check_disk on the linux box, you want nrpe on, and
chkconfig it on so it always starts. Open nrpe.cfg and edit the
check_disk check to your liking, >make sure nrpe.cfg includes the ip
address of your Nagios Host box to allow check_nrpe to call it.

>To get the variables you can add, you'd do ./check_disk -help in the
plugins directory (something like /usr/lib/nagios/plugins)

>I'm rather new as well, but that's my understanding.

"So, I would run the nagios-plugins-nrpe rpm on the remote machines (all
are CentOS 3.3, except for one FC2)?  Are there other plugins I have to
add?  What would I do to the FC2 box (there is a Dag nagios-plugins-nrpe
rpm for FC2)?  Sorry for my denseness."

I believe I used the dag nagios plugins rpm for FC2, I think I used that
successfully for FC3 as well, but if there's no dag rpm, just grab the
gz.

Run it on all your hosts that are linux, and make sure you run the nrpe
as well, and setup /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg with allowed_hosts listing your
nagios host.

Host you want to monitor - Install NRPE and Plugins.

Chkconfig Nrpe on. Edit Nrpe to suit your network.

Start nrpe service.

Run test check from your Nagios host maching.