Passive service checks on windows via NAT

Chuck cjdock at charter.net
Wed Nov 24 16:18:33 CET 2004

James Hailstone wrote:

>Hi there, was wondering if anyone has any advice or can help me with
>the following.
>
>I work for an IT outsourcing company, we have numerous clients located
>at many different remote sites (all are running windows servers). We
>are looking to implement nagios as a way of monitoring certain
>services on remote hosts, ie exchange server services, sql, memory,
>disk use, etc.
>
>I have setup a nagios test server in our office which is doing active
>checks via nrpe_nt. This works really well and is exactly what we want
>to implement across the range of our clients.
>
>My problem is as follows. Most of our clients are behind firewalls
>which are providing NAT to the outside world. I can therefore setup
>nrpe_nt to check one remote server (creating a rule on the remote
>firewall so that incoming port 5666 gets forwarded to the nt server to
>be checked). However, this obviously won't work if the client site has
>two or more windows servers. VPN is out of the question, as well as
>setting up a remote nagios box at the client site.
>
>My impression is that the checks will need to be run passively from
>the windows boxes themselves using nsca. So my question is:
>
>Can i get the checks/functionality of nrpe_nt passively ?. That is,
>can the nrpe_nt service be told to send data back to the nagios server
>without first receiving an active trigger from nagios ?. If this isn't
>possible, does anybody know of any way to do passive checks from
>windows boxes ?.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i'm now having recurring
>dreams about passive/active, and nrpe, and nsca ! :-)
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>James

I'm just venturing into nrpe and nsca so I might be a bit off base by
saying this...it seems that most things I can get from nrpe I can also
get by just using snmp so if you set up the windows boxes to send snmp
traps you then wouldn't have to deal with the firewall or nat issues.
I'm sure the limitation will be is if traps can send you the info you
are looking for.