Some things don't work

Nathan Oyler noyler at khimetrics.com
Tue Nov 23 23:31:55 CET 2004

You need to install nagios-plugins-nrpe, and nagios-nrpe

When you call a plugin through linux, you use check_nrpe on the nagios
host machine and that calls the plugin on the remote box, so the plugin
must exist.

Nagios-nrpe is the required service that must be running, and your
/etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg will be the file that you can give variables for
the plugin calls. Nrpe needs to be running on the remote box.

So if you wanted to check_disk on the linux box, you want nrpe on, and
chkconfig it on so it always starts. Open nrpe.cfg and edit the
check_disk check to your liking, make sure nrpe.cfg includes the ip
address of your Nagios Host box to allow check_nrpe to call it.

To get the variables you can add, you'd do ./check_disk -help in the
plugins directory (something like /usr/lib/nagios/plugins)

I'm rather new as well, but that's my understanding.