Everything works! But I want more!

Paul DeLong pdelong at advance.net
Tue Nov 23 22:09:36 CET 2004

Ben Hyde wrote:

> For example I have a modem i can't seem to monitor explicitly; so I
> made a host for it and put it parent/child topology.  But it hasn't
> got any services so it always reports as "pending."  What do people do
> about that?   I could make a fake service that reports that all is
> fine; but that isn't really the case.

Try reversing the sense of that.  You want to treat the modem like it's
a service on a dummy host (i.e., use a service check on it).

> The second example is cases where I have a provider or network as an
> intermediary.  In a sense this is just like my modem.  I'd like to
> render them as a cloud with no particular status; is there a standard
> way people do that?

I'm not sure I understand this one.  Why would you want to monitor it if
you don't want to know its status?  Just monitor what's on the far end
of it.  Am I missing something?

Later,
Paul.