Some things don't work

Jan Scholten Jan.Scholten at iconz.net
Tue Nov 23 21:15:51 CET 2004

[cut]

>    1. Both Current Users and Total Processes are reported as the same
>       for all machines (e.g. 0 Current Users, 43 Total Processes).  Why,
>       and how do I fix?
Execute the checks on the remote machines, use NRPE,NSCA or check_by_ssh
or use SNMP  (read list archives). The check can only report the
Information of the local host  (like check_load, check_mem, check_mailq
and many more).

>    2. Only some of the partitions on various machines report Disk Free
>       Space.  The remaining partitions report “UNKNOWN”.  Why, and how
>       do I fix?
More information: How do you check that.. remeber check_disk only checks
local partitions. try a check_disk -w 10 -c 5 and you should get the
output of all local partitions. Specify with "-p /var" if you only want
to have the /var space

>    3. Three machines have IDE hard drives.  The Disk Free Space on all
>       of the partitions  (e.g. /dev/hda2, etc.) on these machines report
>       “UNKNOWN”.  How do I monitor the IDE drives?
see abovbe.. you probably check the disks of the nagios server, which
may not have /dev/hda2 --> unknown

>    4. One of the printers that I monitor is actually a Konica copier
>       with print capability.  Printer Status for this device reports a
>       status of “Critical”.  In looking at the services.cfg file, I
>       notice that the check_command is “check_hpjd”, which would lend me
>       to believe that this has something to do with HP.  How do I
>       monitor the status of the Konica?
If your konica printer supports snmp you can write your own script or
try to use check_hpjd, but the name implies that it's only for HP JetDirect

>    5. I understand what to specify in services.cfg to monitor the Free
>       Disk Space of the disks on the Linux boxes (although, as mentioned
>       above, my results aren’t complete.  How do I designate the disks
>       for the Windows machines?
Use the Windows NRPE or (what i prefer) NSClient and use the standard
test or read performance values.

Jan