Checking emails/pages and check_nrpe

Mukarram Syed muksyed at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 01:32:15 CET 2004

Thanks for replying Jan.

I have setup nrpe to run under xinetd.
and it's waiting/listening as shown below:
tcp        0      0 *:nrpe                  *:*
             LISTEN
tcp        0      0 triton:nrpe             gaia:1303
             TIME_WAIT

I restarted xinetd with "debug=1" in the nrpe.cfg but
no log files were generated for nrpe in
/var/log/messages.

Any suggestions.

Thanks Much.

-Mukarram.

--- Jan Scholten <Jan.Scholten at iconz.net> wrote:

> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to test my pager/email notification.
> Is
> > there a way you could test email notification out
> > without bringing the host down.  Any command line
> > argument you could send from Nagois to verify
> nagios
> > would actually page you when the host goes down?
> Just setup a testhost with an bogus address (that
> does not exist) or use
> a Service check with check_dummy 2 not that
> difficult.
>

> > Also, I have installed check_nrpe and I could run
> > command line for the check_disk and it returns the
> > information I need, like so:
> > gaia# /usr/local/etc/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
> pan
> > -c check_disk
> > DISK OK [63185032 kB (95%) free on /dev/sda3]
> [80442
> > kB (83%) free on /dev/sda1] [1030776 kB (100%)
> free on
> > /dev/shm]
> >
> > But I it is not populating the webpage.  I don't
> see
> > any Disk information in the webpage.
> > Here is my services.cfg file:
> >
> > # Service definition
> > define service{
> >         use
> > generic-service         ; Name of service template
> > use
> >
> >         hostgroup_name
> > computer-distopias
> >         service_description             Disk
> >         is_volatile                     0
> >         check_period                    24x7
> >         max_check_attempts              3
> >         normal_check_interval           5
> >         retry_check_interval            1
> >         contact_groups
> linux-admins
> >         notification_interval           240
> >         notification_period             24x7
> >         notification_options            c,r
> >         check_command
> > check_nrpe!check_disk
> >         }
> >
> > and the check_disk line in my nrpe.cfg file:

command[check_disk]=/usr/local/etc/nagios/libexec/check_disk
> > -w 20 -c 10
> >
> > I have a similar plugin running called check_load
> > which is working fine.
> >
> > Obviously I am missing something...
> > Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Mukarram Syed.
>
> Is the check scheduled? Did you restart the NRPE
> Server on the remote
> Host after editing the nrpe.cfg?
>
> turn on the verbose mode in the nrpe.cfg (restart
> nrpe)
>
> check log files!
>
> Jan

=====