check_load

Jan Scholten Jan.Scholten at iconz.net
Mon Nov 22 21:46:30 CET 2004

> I'd like to monitor CPU utilization on the Linux servers. I found a
> plugin named check_load. Is that the right one to use? Can someone
> explain to me the warning/critical threshold values for check_load,
> please? Or point me in the right direction to get more info?

As far as i know Check_load only checks on the local host, so you would
need to use that with nrpe, nsca or check_by_ssh.

> The only way I know to get information about a plugin is to use -h /
> --help. I tried that on check_load ad it said -- the load average format
> is the same used by "uptime" and "w". I checked the man pages for these
> commands and they were not much help. I know they both display the
> system load averages for the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes. I also know that
> 0.0 means that nothing is happening on the system. But I'm not sure what
> the system load averages will display if say the server was running at
> 100% CPU utilization for the last hour...

AFAIK a load of 1 means: there is one process waiting for the cpu. a
load of two means (guess) two process are waiting for the cpu. we have
some mail and webservers, that have a load of up to 200 and they are
working fine (maybe a bit slow)

> So I saw an example from the minimal.cfg file, but I'm not sure how to
> interpret the threshold  values.
>
> check_command
> check_local_load!5.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0
>
> ( check_load -w WLOAD1,WLOAD5,WLOAD15 -c CLOAD1,CLOAD5,CLOAD15 )
check_local_load!5.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0 means:
Warning if: Avg Load in the last 1 Min is higher than 5.0
or	Avg Load in the Last 5 Minutes is higher than 4.0
or 	Avg Load in thye last 15 Mins is higher than 3.0

Critical if  Avg Load in the last 1 Min is higher than 10.0
or	Avg Load in the Last 5 Minutes is higher than 6.0
or 	Avg Load in thye last 15 Mins is higher than 4.0

SNMP may also be an alternative to check processor utiliazation.

Jan