check_load

Minkov, Ross ross.minkov at hp.com
Mon Nov 22 21:25:05 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm a Nagios newbie. I have Nagios setup on RHEL3 server. I'm only
monitoring Linux servers and network routers.

I'd like to monitor CPU utilization on the Linux servers. I found a
plugin named check_load. Is that the right one to use? Can someone
explain to me the warning/critical threshold values for check_load,
please? Or point me in the right direction to get more info?

The only way I know to get information about a plugin is to use -h /
--help. I tried that on check_load ad it said -- the load average format
is the same used by "uptime" and "w". I checked the man pages for these
commands and they were not much help. I know they both display the
system load averages for the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes. I also know that
0.0 means that nothing is happening on the system. But I'm not sure what
the system load averages will display if say the server was running at
100% CPU utilization for the last hour...

So I saw an example from the minimal.cfg file, but I'm not sure how to
interpret the threshold  values.

check_command
check_local_load!5.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0

( check_load -w WLOAD1,WLOAD5,WLOAD15 -c CLOAD1,CLOAD5,CLOAD15 )

TIA,
Ross