Nagios and a Real time performance issue (for a huge undertaken)

sushilkumar sushildeshmukh at sqtl.com
Mon Nov 22 13:09:45 CET 2004

Hi nagios community,

I want start a new issue regarding with the nagios hosting in a huge
network environment. If I use nagios to monitor hundreds of hosts &
thousnads of services don't you fill it will consume a large network
bandwidth & it will quickly flood all our network backbone with the packets
flowing all the way freely & while at the same time with the
acknowledgement & output packets sent by different host & services.

again How we can forget the refresh rate of 90 seconds (which itself means
all the stuff is going to be checked after each 90 seconds). also there is
one strange feature of nagios service check "when a particular service is
not in the o.k state at first check & it will get 3 chances".

There is a concept of parallelized check but, i think it is not enough
justifyable analytically.
Anybody can statstically (analytically) justify the things?

with best regards
sushil