Escalationproblem?

Sascha Runschke srunschke at abit.de
Wed Nov 17 11:34:17 CET 2004

Hi List,

I stumbled over a strange problem yesterday.
I have started to set escalations and splitted notifications depending on
time/severity.
To my astounding Nagios does not behave as intended and I cannot see any
fault
in my configuration.

The desired behavior:

24x7:
- Send Emails for D,R

During the day:
- Send SMS on DOWN (first notification only)
- Send SMS on RECOVERY (second notification and later only)

During the night:
- Send SMS on DOWN (second notification only)
- Send SMS on RECOVER (third notification and later only)

So during the days we want an immediate SMS on a host DOWN alert and SMS
on RECOVERY.
During the nights we only want a SMS for the second DOWN alert and a SMS
for RECOVERY later on.
We always want Emails 24x7 to have a better overview of network downs/ups.

For some strange reason Nagios fails to notify us via SMS if the host goes
up after the
initial DOWN notification. It does notify via SMS though if the host goes
up after the second
DOWN notification (which is send as email).

Scenarios:

10:00  Host goes DOWN -> Email + SMS alert generated (OK!)
10:05  Host goes UP -> Email alert generated (NOT OK! SMS should be sent
too, but is not triggered for an unknown reason)

10:00  Host goes DOWN -> Email + SMS alert generated (OK!)
10:10  Host still DOWN -> Email alert generated (OK!)
10:15  Host goes UP -> Email + SMS alert generated (OK!)

The escalation configuration is as follows:

#
# Die erste Warnung immer auch per SMS rausschicken
#
define hostescalation {
hostgroup_name
Router,SAP,Notes,app-server,Fileserver,Domaincontroller,Switch
contact_groups          SMS-Alarm
first_notification      1
last_notification       1
notification_interval   10
escalation_period       daylight_hours
escalation_options      d
}
#
# Ab der zweiten Notification nur noch das Recovery per SMS rausschicken
#
define hostescalation {
hostgroup_name
Router,SAP,Notes,app-server,Fileserver,Domaincontroller,Switch
contact_groups          SMS-Alarm
first_notification      2
last_notification       0
notification_interval   10
escalation_period       daylight_hours
escalation_options      r
}
#
# Nachts immer nur die 2te Notification per SMS rausschicken
#
define hostescalation {
hostgroup_name
Router,SAP,Notes,app-server,Fileserver,Domaincontroller,Switch
contact_groups          SMS-Alarm
first_notification      2
last_notification       2
notification_interval   10
escalation_period       night_hours
escalation_options      d
}
#
# Danach nur noch die Recovery per SMS
#
define hostescalation {
hostgroup_name
Router,SAP,Notes,app-server,Fileserver,Domaincontroller,Switch
contact_groups          SMS-Alarm
first_notification      3
last_notification       0
notification_interval   10
escalation_period       night_hours
escalation_options      r
}
#
# Rund um die Uhr die Notifications per Email rausschicken
#
define hostescalation {
hostgroup_name
Router,SAP,Notes,app-server,Fileserver,Domaincontroller,Switch
contact_groups          master-admins
first_notification      1
last_notification       0
notification_interval   10
escalation_period       24x7
escalation_options      d,r
}

Any hints? Or did I make a mistake that I fail to see?

regards
        sash

Sascha Runschke
Netzwerk Administration
IT-Services

ABIT AG
Robert-Bosch-Str. 1
40668 Meerbusch

Tel.:+49 (0) 2150.9153.226
mailto:SRunschke at abit.de

http://www.abit.net
http://www.abit-epos.net
http://www.my-academy.net
Der Inhalt dieser Email sowie die Anhänge sind ausschließlich für den
bezeichneten Adressaten bestimmt. Wenn Sie nicht der vorgesehene Adressat
dieser Email oder dessen Vertreter sein sollten, so beachten Sie bitte,
daß jede Form der Kenntnisnahme, Veröffentlichung,  Vervielfältigung oder
Weitergabe des Inhalts dieser Email unzulässig ist. Wir möchten Sie
außerdem darauf hinweisen, daß die Kommunikation per Email über das
Internet unsicher ist, da fuer unberechtigte Dritte grundsätzlich die
Möglichkeit der Kenntnisnahme und Manipulation besteht. Wenn Sie diese
Nachricht versehentlich erhalten, informieren Sie bitte den Absender und
löschen diese Nachricht mit den Anhängen. Herzlichen Dank

The information and any attachments contained in this email are intended
solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is
unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any form of
disclosure, reproduction, distribution or any action taken or refrained
from in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. We also like to
inform you that communication via email over the internet is insecure
because third parties may have the possibility to access and manipulate
emails. If you have received the message in error, please advise the
sender and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you very much.