Nagios and DB support.

Ben bench at silentmedia.com
Tue Nov 16 21:31:54 CET 2004

> Sure, and this is probably what I will end up having to do for the time
> being. Don't get me wrong, I think nagios is great, it just seems that
> version 2 will hanicap it more than anything else. The flexibility
> should extend beyond just allowing you define custom checks and custom
> notify-by's. I would like to be flexible in how I store this data too.
> Heres an idea; leave the storage and logging functions seperate. Treat
> this backside of nagios like a module also, so we aren't forced to save
> everything in files and can write our own storage methods.

This was my feeling as well when I first started looking at nagios 2, but
after working on a NEB module that stores data in a database, I don't
think it's justified. Granted, NEB documention is non-existant and there
are some rough spots I've been finding that may be bugs or may be my
misunderstanding, but hey, nagios 2 is still alpha, even if it's a stable
alpha.

In other words, I think NEB will give you the ability to do what you want.
True, nagios will still write its own flatfiles that you'll never use, but
that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Like you point out below, configuration may remain a problem, depending on
how complex your environment is. Fortunately for me, my environment is
very homogenious, if large.