Nagios and DB support.

Ben bench at silentmedia.com
Tue Nov 16 20:34:26 CET 2004

Well, you must do what you feel is right, of course, but....

Any solution you come up with would probably include alerting, and I've
found that Nagios is excellent at alerting. It's not so hot at running
historical reports or making trend reports, but I've got two things to say
about that. First, nagios can gather its metrics from your historical
trending tools, so you get both. Second, nagios 2 has NEB modules, which
you can use to send data to your historical trending tools, so you can get
both going the other way too. It's flexible.

Personally, I don't think it makes sense to have one tool that does
everything. The concept of small tools that do their job well and can
interact with other tools is what gives unix so much of its power, and I
don't see any reason to stop applying that concept when it comes to
monitoring, alerting, or trend analysis.