Various timing related issues with Nagios, critical impact on monitoring.

Jon Gefaell jgefaell at netblue.com
Tue Nov 16 19:46:15 CET 2004

Not only am I having problems with the notification interval, other
strangeness is rearing it's head. Last night there was a host down
alarm, no service check problems, just a host down. Then, 40 seconds
(SECONDS!) later, Host OK. What could possibly explain this? There's no
check interval of 40 seconds... And shouldn't a host check be preceeded
by service failures?

Another host had an check_http service check timeout. Generated a
critical alert notificiation. Nothing else until 20 minutes later when
it went 'OK. This is confusing,  Given that my notification interval
seems stuck at 25 minutes it makes sense we only got one notification,
but our alternate alarm systems (remote services) never alarmed at all,
the service was fully available during these 20 minutes. The alarm was
just a timeout on the plugin and then it seems nothing happened for 20
minutes???

I set notification interval to 15 and still get notifications every 25
minutes. I can't figure it out.

Please do try to help address these issues, our use of Nagios is heavily
impacted by the inability to configure things like the notification
interval and the other behaviours described here.

---

Hello,

I am running Nagios 1.2 on Linux Redhat 9 and 7.3

I am seeing that if a service condition is let's say 'warning' and
remains that way notifications are sent every 25 minutes.

Now I have interval_length=60 and notification_interval 120

This makes me think that I should be getting these notifications every 2
hours, which is the desired behaviour. Can anyone tell me what may be
wrong here? Maybe I don't understand this properly? Are these two
parameters what should be controlling this behaviour?

Thank you very much for your kind consideration.

Jon Gefaell