Problem with socket timeouts. (Dru)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Nov 15 09:58:17 CET 2004

Stanley Hopcroft wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> I am writing to thank you for your letter and say
>
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 08:09:48PM -0800, nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
>
>>Message: 4
>>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:27:03 +1300
>>From: Dru <andru at treshna.com>
>>Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Problem with socket timeouts.

>>>This sounds like a firewall issue. You realise you need to open up all
>>>the firewalls for the checks to run through, right?
>>
>>There is a firewall but its outside the network. I am just trying to
>>mointor servers running on the local machine. It could
>>be passing the wrong $HOST in possible.
>

>>Is there a way to get the $HOST
>>details?
>

>> It'll be great if the website outputted the full
>>debugging output from running the plugin.
>

> Unfortunately, no,
>
> The plugins (such as this) are intended to be light weight: intensive
> debugging code is minimised to increase the plugin performance.
>
> You can do this with a plugin wrapper that logs stuff useful to
> debugging in a file. Doing so has been described in these lists before
> (eg
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.user/23653/match=plugin+wrapper
>
> )
>

>>Like execting plugin
>>$fullpath/$pluginname -H $host etc so i know exactly why its screwing
>>up.   Does anyone thats work on nagios code know if this is easy to
>>enable in regard to logging?
>>

> You can add any amount of debugging hooks in the wrapper eg in a sHell
> wrapper
>
> echo $@ (to dump all the arguments)

Better make that
for arg in "$@"; do
	echo -- "$arg" >> /tmp/debug.$$
done
so you get each argument exactly as the program sees it. Each arg will
be on its own line.

To run the plugin without mangling any of the arguments, do
plugin "$@"
The quotation marks are essential. Without them, arguments are broken at
spaces within arguments (if any).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer