Nagios 1.2 - qpage

rader at ginseng.hep.wisc.edu rader at ginseng.hep.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 12 22:58:13 CET 2004

 > Steve> curious...
 >
 > Steve>  % date -r 1100295211 +%H:%M
 > Steve>  date: 1100295211: No such file or directory
 >
 > Steve> what flavor of "date" are you using??
 >
 > The FreeBSD flavor. (Ummm! Tasty!)
 >
 > You need to get your date to convert that UNIX timestamp to a human
 > friendly string. (Putting aside the group of humans that grok those
 > timestamps with out conversion.)
 >
 > I've never figured out how to persuade the GNU date to handle UNIX
 > timestamps. Its a trivial C or Perl program to do this for you. But a
 > little research into GNU's date will probably get it done too.

this is the best i can think of...

steve
- - -

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
#
# stamp2date: convert time_t time stamp into date string
# using GNU date
#

use strict;

if ( $#ARGV < 0 || $#ARGV > 1 ) {
  print STDERR "usage: stamp2date timestamp [+DATE_FORMAT]\n";
  exit 1;
}

my $stamp = shift @ARGV;
my $date_string = '"' . scalar localtime($stamp) . '"';
my $date_spec = '';
if ( $ARGV[0] ) { $date_spec = '"' . $ARGV[0] . '"'; }

print `/bin/date -d $date_string $date_spec`;