Nagios 1.2 - qpage

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Fri Nov 12 15:19:47 CET 2004

> qpage implements a email-to-text-pager gateway... so just configure

Um.  No, qpage implements nothing of the sort.  Qpage is an SNPP client
and server, and has nothing to do with email.

> nagios to send terse emails to your pager email address... here's
> what we use...
>
>  define contact {
>    contact_name                    page-somebody
>    alias                           page somebody
>    [...]
>    service_notification_commands   notify-by-pager
>    host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-pager
>    email                           somebodys-pager-email-address-here
>  }
>
>  define command {
>    command_name  notify-by-pager
>    command_line  /usr/bin/printf "%b" "$SERVICESTATE$ $OUTPUT$" |
> /bin/mail -s "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$:$SERVICEDESC$"
> $CONTACTEMAIL$
>  }
>
>  define command{
>    command_name    host-notify-by-pager
>    command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "$OUTPUT$" | /bin/mail -s
> "$HOSTSTATE$: $HOSTNAME$" $CONTACTEMAIL$
>  }

Qpage isn't involved in any of these examples - you're simply sending
an email to your pager service provider.  Not too handy, if the network
is having an issue.

This is how I have my qpage set up:

# 'qpage-alert' command definition
define command{
        command_name    qpage-alert
        command_line    /usr/local/bin/qpage -P $CONTACTNAME$ -f
"Nagios-Home " $HOSTNAME$: $SERVICEDESC$ $OUTPUT$
        }

This connects to my local SNPP daemon (qpage), fires up the modem, and
sends the page.  This will work even if the network is totally fscked,
or if my SMTP service is hosed.

Benny

--
"Fry cracked corn, and I don't care, Leela cracked corn, and still
don't care, Bender cracked corn, and he is great! Take THAT you