check_snmp assistance request

Jan Scholten Jan.Scholten at iconz.net
Wed Nov 10 21:55:51 CET 2004

Jamie Roughan wrote:
[cut]

> general checklist---
> - ./check_snmp -h  #read contents

Normally it's a goord idea to check on the command_line (as user nagios)
if the plugin returns the correct output:
./check_snmp -P 1 -C public -H 172.16.100.1 -o IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.1 -w
:1 -c:1 -m ALL

if the output is like the one expected just use this line as a
check_command:

define command{
 command_name	check_snmp
 command_line	$USER1$/check_snmp
 		-H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C $USER3$ -o $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$ -P1 -m ALL
 	}

You see i use the $USER1$ for the path to the plugins and $USER3$ for
the snmp Password (configure both in resources.cfg)

the check_command entry in the services.cfg is (for the above example):

..
check_command	check_snmp!IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.1!:1!:1

> - commands.cfg
> #check_snmp command definition
> define command{
> command_name	check_snmp
> command_line	/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp
> 		-H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -o $ARG2$
> 	}

[cut]

> I suspect that the snmp config in either / both the services.cfg &
> checkcommands.cfg is close but not quite correct. Any useful suggestions
> are welcome.

Yeah.. some errors: in checkcommands you want Arguements (which you
dodn't provide in the services.cfg and you use a wrong parameter (-c
instead of -C)

If you have more questions: let me know!

Jan