SEND_NSCA mimic login method

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Wed Nov 10 04:13:57 CET 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 10:33:18AM +1100, Michal Polonski wrote:
>>> How is that possible when I run send_nsca, I have to declare the
>>> config file that contains a password..
>>>
>>> send_nsca.exe -H 0.0.0.0 -p 5667 -c config.txt
>
>> That is send_nsca authenticating against nsca, not Nagios.
>
> Okay then, how can I authenticate against nsca? I mean, what is the
> string that I send to nsca to authenticate in order to be able to send
> subsequent commands?

It's only a string in the strictest sense, as in "a sequence of
bytes".  It's probably not readable.

If you look at nsca's configuration file, you'll see that you must
specify a password and a decryption method, on both the client and
the server (on the client, it's an encryption method).  I haven't
looked at the code, but I suspect whatever password is sent using
the encryption method specified.

If you really want to re-implement the client, you should probably
limit yourself to whatever encryption method you're using; most
of the complexity of the real programs probably comes from supporting
so many cyphers.

The best way to understand how they communicate would be to use
the source; otherwise, you could disable encryption altogether and
use a packet capture to see what is sent.

Of course, there's nothing especially magical about nscad - you
could write your own client/server for it using whatever protocol
makes sense to you and provides sufficient security & access control
for your needs.

Personally, I'd just run the command-line client from within VB,
as you were originally trying to do.  It shouldn't be that hard...