Feature Request for 2.0

Julian Hein jhein at netways.de
Thu Nov 4 22:34:23 CET 2004

Hi,

> Checks... In our case we got some WAN Sites, which are connected with
> one primary and one shadow line.
> When the primary goes down it sometimes takes about 2minutes
> or so until
> the shadow comes up, but we don't care, and don't wanne get a
> notification for those 2-3minutes downtime. We also tried to insert a
> sleep timer in the check command, but this really messes up our system
> performance regarding the load...
> Regarding the services in this site, ist no Problem, because the
> interval between the service checks in configured in the right way.
> Maybe there is another option to slow down the host checks without
> getting Problems with the load... But I can't think about any...

One idea could be, to ping this hosts by an other daemon or cronjob every 1 or 2 minutes and append the result to a file. The host check than does not ping, but look into that file, if the last successful ping is not older than e.g. 7 minutes and return OK to Nagios.

This is also an option if someone has a lot of down hosts, to reduce check latency, because there is no timeout involved.

Julian

--
Julian Hein                   NETWAYS GmbH
Managing Director             Deutschherrnstr. 47a