Checking Switches and Routers like whats up

Jason Payne - iland Internet Solutions jason.payne at iland.com
Thu Nov 4 16:37:14 CET 2004

Hello Nagiosians!

I use check_snmp to check the status of firewall ports.  The same concept applies to switch ports.  I'd use a snmp walk on the machine and just scroll to find the stuff you want.  If you were smart about this (unlike me) you would make that inerfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOperStatus.# something like $MIB$ and just pass that from the check command so you don't have to have a seperate checkcommand for every port.  We just do it with firewalls so I keep it simple (2 interfaces).

define command{
        command_name    check_pix515_if1
        command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C MR.STRING -o int
erfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOperStatus.1 -c 1
        }

define command{
        command_name    check_pix515_if2
        command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C MR.STRING -o int
erfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOperStatus.2 -c 1
        }

Gimme some candy,
Jason Payne