snmptt not working

Marek Keerand marek.keerand at uninet.ee
Wed Nov 3 18:44:02 CET 2004

Hi

I have cisco catalyst switches in my company. Switches are configured to
send snmp traps to Nagios host. I'm unable to translate those traps with
Snmptt. Snmptt is configured to log traps into log file
(/var/log/snmptt.log). Configuration files are:

snmptrapd.conf:
traphandle default /usr/sbin/snmptt

I start snmptrapd with command:
/usr/local/sbin/snmptrapd -On

/etc/snmp/snmptt.conf:

EVENT coldStart .1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.1 "Status Events" Normal
EXEC /bin/echo "node=$A msg_text=cisco coldStart trap" >>
/var/log/snmptt.log
SDESC
A coldStart trap signifies that the sending
protocol entity is reinitializing itself such
that the agent's configuration or the protocol
entity implementation may be altered.
Variables:
  1: sysUpTime
  2: whyReload
EDESC
#
#
#
EVENT linkDown .1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.3 "Status Events" Normal
EXEC /bin/echo "node=$A msg_text=cisco linkdown trap on interface $1" >>
/var/log/snmptt.log
SDESC
A linkDown trap signifies that the sending
protocol entity recognizes a failure in one of
the communication links represented in the
agent's configuration.
Variables:
  1: ifIndex
  2: ifDescr
  3: ifType
  4: locIfReason
EDESC
#
#
#
EVENT linkUp .1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.4 "Status Events" Normal
EXEC /bin/echo "node=$A msg_text=cisco linkup trap on interface $1" >>
/var/log/snmptt.log
SDESC
A linkUp trap signifies that the sending
protocol entity recognizes that one of the
communication links represented in the agent's
configuration has come up.
Variables:
  1: ifIndex
  2: ifDescr
  3: ifType
  4: locIfReason
EDESC

I see only snmptrapd messages in my syslog. Nothing goes to snmptt.log
file.

Any help would be great

Marek