Which packages needed for nrpe w/ ssl connection to work properly?

nagiosmaillist.4.lgetschel at spamgourmet.com nagiosmaillist.4.lgetschel at spamgourmet.com
Tue Nov 2 20:21:52 CET 2004

All-
   I have a couple of RH9 Linux systems that have been "hardened" (had
packages removed that weren't needed).

   When I try to use nrpe  to connect to these, I get the notorious
"CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake".
However, based on the faq page, the 5 listed 'possibilities' don't seem
to apply (I'm using the same files on multiple systems (and ssl is
working on the others), The file permissions are the same, dev/random is
world readable, and "allow from=" is the same file from other systems)

   I noticed that when I manually run this command from my nagios server
to a working node [i.e. ./check_nrpe -H dva0048 -c check_load ]
it works fine.
   When I run the same command from the "hardened" system to ANY other
node (both working and non-working ones) I receive the "CHECK_NRPE:
Error - Could not complete SSL handshake." for every one.

This led me to think the hardening process removed some "library" that
would be needed.

In a previous posting I asked about packages needed to compile nrpe, and
the (correct) response of  "openssl and openssl-devel"  doesn't seem to
quite apply here. (trying to install the openssl-devel required
krb5-devel which required krb5-libs, and after all that the handshake
error was still there.)

Can anyone suggest any other reasons for this error or what to try next?

--
Lewis Getschel             | Today is done...
WesternGeco                |     Today was fun...