availability report - first assumed state

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Nov 2 18:38:25 CET 2004

Nagios uses the log files to determine starting states for the hosts. To
save on processing, Nagios just looks at the log files that are within
the time period defined in your report plus the number of backtracked
archives you've specified, if any. Since the current stable version of
Nagios does not log all host/service states when the log rotates, the
availability scripts depend entirely on state change log entries to
determine host status at any given time. If there is not state change
logged in your reporting period + backtracked archives, Nagios has no
idea of the state of the host, nor would it have any idea of the state
of the host _before_ the first logged state change if there was one. It
would have to process all the log files from day one to definitively
determine host/service states at any given time which isn't practical.
That's why you're given the option of specifying the initial state.

Nagios 2.0 logs current host/service states at the start of each log
file so this should be 'resolved' going forward.

--
Marc