Check Scheduling Problem

Radcliffe, Jerome (ISS Southfield) JRadcliffe at iss.net
Mon Nov 1 20:11:16 CET 2004

Hello,

I am running a nagios instance that has 600+ host and 5500+ services. I
am running into a problem that after a reload or restart of the nagios
process the scheduling of service checks becomes a problem.  For example
I have a service check that should run every 3 minutes, this occurs
great till I do a restart/reload, then the Next Check gets changes to
hours into the future. If I force a immediate check of the service, the
scheduler correctly makes the next check scheduled per the time defined
in the services file. This has caused a couple failures already in which
I missed service outages in the several hour gap in scheduling. Has
anyone seen this problem before or know how to remedy it?

Jay

Jerome Radcliffe, CISSP
Security Engineer Principal
MSS Engineering