Passive service checks not being accepted by primary?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Mar 29 23:56:23 CEST 2004

On Monday, March 29, 2004 3:18 PM, Cliff Riggs shared with us:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for the links to the (rather obvious I thought once it was
> pointed out to me...) search function of the archives! I apologize
> for cluttering the list with something so clear.
>
> I am having a problem with a primary Nagios server accepting passive
> service checks from a remote Nagios server behind a firewall that is
> performing NAT. The remote server is sending checks OK, and using
> tcpdump I can see the checks being accepted by the primary server
> inbound on the interface. The Nagios process however, does not update
> with the results of the passive check.

[snip]

> The service is also defined on the primary as follows:
>
> Primary:
> # Service definition
> define service{
>          use                             generic-service         ;
> Name
> of service template to use
>
>          host_name                       cisco-test
>          service_description             PING
>          active_checks_enabled                   0
>          is_volatile                     0
>          check_period                    24x7
>          max_check_attempts              3
>          normal_check_interval           3
>          retry_check_interval            1
>          contact_groups                  admins
>          notification_interval           120
>          notification_period             24x7
>          notification_options            w,u,c,r
>          check_command
>          check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60% }
>
> I have enabled debugging in the NSCA.cfg file, but I am not seeing
> any output either in the nagios.log file or normal syslog output.

I believe it uses *.err and *.debug. Do you have those going anywhere in
syslogd.conf or a general catch-all?

> To the best of my ability, I have followed the instructions from
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/distributed.html knowing that
> they were a revision or two off, but seemed to work well. My
> suspicion is that this passage is particularly relevant to my
> problem: "The central server must have service definitions for all
> services that are being monitored by all the distributed servers.
> Nagios will ignore passive check results if they do not correspond to
> a service that has been defined.", yet I lack the skill to see where
> I'm falling down.

I'll bet you're on the right track. Let's slay the most obvious omission
first as it may be really simple. Unless your 'generic-service' template
on the central server has it, you've forgotten to tell Nagios to expect
passive checks for this service --

passive_checks_enabled 1

passive_checks_enabled *: This directive is used to determine whether or
not passive checks of this service are enabled. Values: 0 = disable
passive service checks, 1 = enable passive service checks.

--
Marc