check_by_ssh question

Arnold Cano arnoldc at mcmservice.com
Mon Mar 29 20:05:42 CEST 2004

Paul L. Allen <pla <at> softflare.com> writes:
<snip>
[Anyone who isn't Andreas should probably skip this, or die of boredom]
</snip>

Wow guys... it would appear this thread has degraded into a less than useful
discussion on this topic. What do you say we steer it back to the topic of
check_by_ssh for indirect checks? :)

You both have valid points, however, the issue here isn't how to make a system
100% secure because that is a impossibility (aside from disconnecting the
network cable... yadda yadda).

Andreas, if you have indeed patched all those software packages please please
submit those fixes to the appropriate package maintainers! I'm sure they would
love to hear from you if they haven't already. I know I would because I use a
few of the ones mentioned.

I have successfully migrated my nagios installation completely to check_by_ssh
from nrpe. I am very pleased because it allows me to have uniform and secure way
of maintaining the installations over my windows and linux hosts. There doesn't
seem to be much information dealing with indirect checks.

[Just in case someone out there reading this doesn't know what indirect checks
are they are checks that occur in external networks that are behind a firewall.
One host much accept the checks and proxy them out to the internal network
hosts.]

A little googling will find a new different methods/hacks to this problem but no
"official" howto on this topic even though there is an entire chapter in the
nagios manual on indirect host and service checks.

Thanks,

Arnold