solved

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Mon Mar 29 14:27:45 CEST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 03:14:21 +0200
Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:

> Paul L. Allen wrote:
> > Karl DeBisschop writes:
> >
> >> That is using POSIX networking rather than relying on whatever
> >version> of ping might happen to be found be the configure step.
> >
> > Not all flavours of *nix are POSIX compliant.  The ones that aren't
> > tend to be obsolete piles of steaming manure, but you have to decide
> > if you really want to exclude them before going down this route.
> >
> Nagios won't compile without heavy modifications on anything but
> POSIX-, BSD4.4-, ANSI- and SVID-compliant systems, so it doesn't
> really matter all that much.

In my mind, POSIX has been the target for the plugins for some time now.
We will almost always end up supporting whatever our core developers use
(RedHat Linux in my case). Not to imply that a developer's OS is more
deserving of support, just that it gets tested there.

But POSIX is the official target for the plugins. We might even document
that someplace ;-)

--
Karl