solved

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Mon Mar 29 02:42:52 CEST 2004

Karl DeBisschop writes:

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:36:07 +0000
> "Paul L. Allen" <pla at softflare.com> wrote:

[...]
>> The autoconfiguration could be better though, by building in knowledge
>> of the required ping syntax for various platforms.
>
> That's a moving target.

True.

> I tend to think that we'd do better in the long run by crafting a
> check_icmp based on code from a GPL alternative.

Possibly.

> That is using POSIX networking rather than relying on whatever version
> of ping might happen to be found be the configure step.

Not all flavours of *nix are POSIX compliant.  The ones that aren't tend
to be obsolete piles of steaming manure, but you have to decide if you
really want to exclude them before going down this route.

> POSIX tends to change less than RedHat's ping.

True.  But POSIX tends to drag a kitchen sink along with it.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support