Last ditch effort

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Sat Mar 27 11:14:58 CET 2004

10 seconds is the default timeout compiled into most of the plugins.  This
can bite you if you are using ping, say, and have 2-second timeouts in the
ping command and 5 pings being sent.  Add in the time to resolve the host
name, and you'll find it starts going over 10 seconds really fast.
(at least, we found that a lot)

Change your check commands to give the plugin a timeout of 30 seconds or
more, and you'll start finding out what the real issue is instead of
getting the misleading plugin timeout stuff.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:21:30AM -0800, Aaron Levitt wrote:
> Greets everyone-
>
> I already posted this question already before, but never got to a
> solution.  I wanted to post one last time in hopes I come up with a
> solution before I am forced to go back to netsaint.
>
> I have recently upgraded to nagios 1.1 from an older release of netsaint
> after a long time of faithful service.  Since the upgrade, we have been
> getting some random timeouts, with an average of 1 or 2 a day.  All the
> information I really have to go on, is the output from nagios.  The mail
> contains "Info: CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds".  The logs
> have the same information, but nothing more helpful.  I'm not sure where
> it's getting the 10 seconds from.  Initially I thought it was nrpe
> timing out, but it seems to be random services and hosts as well.
>
> So far, I have changed max_concurrent_checks and various timeout values
> in nagios.cfg.  As well as changing max_check_attempts and
> normal_check_interval to make sure there wasn't too much going on at the
> same time (which really shouldn't matter since nagios is only monitoring
> about 60 hosts).  I poked through the source code but couldn't find
> anything with a 10 second timeout.
>
> Currently nagios is running on it's own box, no other services are
> running on it.  It's a 2.4.20 kernel on Redhat 9 and the hardware is a
> PIII 800Mhz and it's got 384Mb of RAM.  Nothing very special, but that
> should be enough I would think.
>
> All of these false alarms are making nagios completely unreliable, but
> it has so many new enhancements, I would really like to continue to use
> it.  If anyone has any suggestions, please send them my way.  Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -=Aaron

Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett at Isite.Net                                      Isite Services, Inc.