Redundant setup question

Cory Visi merlin at phear.lwz.org
Sat Mar 27 01:44:08 CET 2004

I have two nagios servers in different locations and I'd like them both to
monitor my business servers. I do not, however, want to receive two pages
for every alert. Therefore, I would like one to act as a primary, and one
to act as a backup.

Here is the scenario. I have Nagios1 and Nagios2. They monitor Server1,
Server2, and Server3.

Nagios1 is the primary nagios server. While Nagios1 is up and functioning,
alerts from Nagios2 are silent. If Server1 goes down, I receive only an
alert from Nagios1.

If Nagios2 detects the Nagios1 is down (nagios service monitor), it
immediately stops becoming silent, starting with an alert to let me know
that Nagios1 is down. From here on, until Nagios1 recovers, Nagios2 should
alert me if Server1, etc. goes down.

I looked into escalations and I don't think they are appropriate for this
kind of setup.

Is there any way to do this with the current Nagios 1.2?

Thank you,
Cory Visi