Cross-platform difficulties with NRPE

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Mar 26 01:37:07 CET 2004

Brian Emord wrote:
> Greetings,
> We set up NRPE daemons to run on OSX, Linux, and Solaris (compiled
> separately on their respective environments). When the server contacts
> linux or OSX, nrpe responds as expected. When it contacts solaris we get
> the following output in the log (with verbose logging on):
>
> nrpe[10566]: [ID 654915 daemon.debug] Connection from SERVER
> nrpe[10566]: [ID 797369 daemon.debug] Host address checks out ok
> nrpe[10566]: [ID 879649 daemon.debug] Handling the connection...
> nrpe[10566]: [ID 421412 daemon.error] Could not read request from client, bailing out...
> nrpe[10566]: [ID 903583 daemon.debug] Connection from SERVER closed.
>
> We use check_nrpe from solaris to solaris and it works well.
> Unfortunately, when we attempt to go the other way (solaris to mac), we
> get the same failure as above.

I'm guessing the nrpe binaries on Solaris aren't compiled with
ssl-support, which means they'll get encrypted packages but try to treat
them as plaintext.

Is openssl installed on the solaris machines, and is nrpe configured to
use them?
If not (and to find out the answer), you can try using check_nrpe -n -H
<solaris-host> -c <command> from the mac (for instance). The '-n' flag
makes nrpe not use ssl.

Also, make sure any firewall sitting between them allows traffic back
and forth (yes, some people actually miss that).

> Thanks for any input you can provide.

Happy to be of help.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson