active -> passive checks

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Mar 25 23:58:20 CET 2004

On Thursday, March 25, 2004 3:54 PM, jan gregor shared with us:

> Hello list.
>
> I just came through one stupid problem with nagios. I had couple
> (100) of active service checks  (check_traffic) which were ran each
> minute.
> Due to performance problems I switched all these these services to
> passive linkup/down trap handlers. I set passive_checks_enabled to 1
> in service template (used from all services) and
> accept_passive_service_checks to 1 too. However, nagios refused to
> accept passive checks for these services. When I created new
> services, everything worked fine. As i realised after LONG research,
> one field in status.sav file of nagios was 1 in services newly added
> and 0 in services that ware moved from active to passive. When a
> changed those 0s to 1, all services started to handle traps
> correctly.
>
> Had anyone came through similar problem? Is this problem of nagios,
> or just my lame configuration? I just don't think, that it is good
> thing to base configuration on status file and not the config files
> :).

Expected and documented --

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html

Retention Notes

It is important to point out that several directives in host and service
definitions may not be picked up by Nagios when you change them. Host
and service directives that can exhibit this behavior are marked with an
asterisk (*). The reason for this behavior is due to the fact that
Nagios chooses to honor values stored in the state retention file over
values found in the config files, assuming you have state retention
enabled on a program-wide basis.

One way to get around this problem is to disable the retention of
non-status information using the retain_nonstatus_information directive
in the host and service definitions. Disabling this directive will cause
Nagios to take the initial values for these directives from your config
files, rather than from the state retention file when it (re)starts.
Using this option is not recommended, as it may result in some
unexpected (from your point of view) results.

Alternatively, you can issue the appropriate external command or change
the value of the host or service directive via the web interface, so
that it matches what you've changed it to in the config files. This is
usually done by using the extended information CGI. This option takes a
bit more work, but is preferable to disabling the retention of
non-status information (mentioned above).

[skipping further down]...

active_checks_enabled *: This directive is used to determine whether or
not active checks of this service are enabled. Values: 0 = disable
active service checks, 1 = enable active service checks.
passive_checks_enabled *: This directive is used to determine whether or
not passive checks of this service are enabled. Values: 0 = disable
passive service checks, 1 = enable passive service checks.