nagios does not read .cfg files

Jared Brick jared.brick at convergia.net
Thu Mar 25 23:45:18 CET 2004

I have the same problem, but the cfg_dir gives the same results. The odd
thing is that if I move hosts.cfg file (which does have the hosts
definitions) to a different directory and then touch a new hosts.cfg
file I get an error saying it can't expand the hostgroups in the
hostgroup.cfg file. I installed nagios from rpm.

hosts.cfg sample:
define host{
        host_name               mon01
        use                     generic-host
        alias                   mon Server 1
        address                 192.168.10.1
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      1
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        register                0
        parents                 fut01
        }

nagios -v nagios.cfg

Nagios 1.2
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 02-02-2004
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...
Error: Host 'sa01' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'sa02' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa1A' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa1B' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa2A' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa2B' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa3A' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa3B' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa4A' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa4B' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'mon01' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'mon02' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'fut01' specified in service 'PING' not defined anywhere!
        Checked 13 services.
Checking hosts...
Error: There are no hosts defined!
        Checked 0 hosts.
Checking host groups...
Error: Host 'mon01' specified in host group 'servers' is not defined
anywhere!
Error: Host 'mon02' specified in host group 'servers' is not defined
anywhere!
Error: Host 'sa01' specified in host group 'systems' is not defined
anywhere!
Error: Host 'sa02' specified in host group 'systems' is not defined
anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa1A' specified in host group 'systems' is not defined
anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa1B' specified in host group 'systems' is not defined
anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa2A' specified in host group 'systems' is not defined
anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa2B' specified in host group 'systems' is not defined
anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa3A' specified in host group 'systems' is not defined
anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa3B' specified in host group 'systems' is not defined
anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa4A' specified in host group 'systems' is not defined
anywhere!
Error: Host 'fa4B' specified in host group 'systems' is not defined
anywhere!
        Checked 2 host groups.
Checking contacts...
        Checked 1 contacts.
Checking contact groups...
        Checked 2 contact groups.
Checking service escalations...
        Checked 0 service escalations.
Checking host group escalations...
        Checked 0 host group escalations.
Checking service dependencies...
        Checked 0 service dependencies.
Checking host escalations...
        Checked 0 host escalations.
Checking host dependencies...
        Checked 0 host dependencies.
Checking commands...
        Checked 22 commands.
Checking time periods...
        Checked 4 time periods.
Checking for circular paths between hosts...
Checking for circular service execution dependencies...
Checking global event handlers...
Checking obsessive compulsive service processor command...
Checking misc settings...

Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors:   26

***> One or more problems was encountered while running the pre-flight
check...