Wouldn't it be nice?

Eric Blumenau eblumenau at techtvcorp.com
Thu Mar 25 22:34:10 CET 2004

Hello,
  I posted this information a few days ago but haven't gotten a
response.  My continued searching on the 'Net hasn't found anything
either.  Since it isn't a widely reported problem, I'm thinking it is a
configuration problem on my end and not a Nagios problem.
  I'm trying to incorporate service dependencies into my service
checks.  Here is my only dependency so far:

define servicedependency {
host_name                       serveriron
service_description             Aliveness
dependent_host_name             adm1
dependent_service_description   *
execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c
notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c
}

/* Translation: If our connection to the outside world isn't alive,
don't bother executing or notifying the rest of the checks. */

When I use 'nagios -v' on my config file, I get:
<snip>
Checking service dependencies...
Error: Service specified in service dependency for service 'disk space
on /' on host 'adm1' is not defined anywhere!
Error: Service specified in service dependency for service 'disk space
on /' on host 'adm1' is not defined anywhere!
Error: Service specified in service dependency for service '/tmp disk
space on adm1-colo' on host 'adm1' is not defined anywhere!
Error: Service specified in service dependency for service '/tmp disk
space on adm1-colo' on host 'adm1' is not defined anywhere!
<snip>

And many more lines, where each existing service check on adm1 gets
repeated twice.  So it is translating the '*' to the correct service
names.  They *are* all defined, earlier in the same file!

# Service definition
define service{
      use                             24x7-service            ; Name of
service template to use
      host_name                       adm1
      service_description             disk space on /
      is_volatile                     0
      max_check_attempts              3
      normal_check_interval           5
      retry_check_interval            1
      contact_groups                  defcon5
      notification_interval           30
      notification_options            w,u,c,r
      check_command                   check_disk!95 98 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
      }

where '24x7-service' is defined at the head of the file as...
define service{
      name                            24x7-service    ; The 'name' of
this service template, referenced in
other service definitions
      active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks
are enabled
      passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks
are enabled/accepted
      parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized (disabling thi
s can lead to major performance problems)
      obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over
this service (if necessary)
      check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT check
service 'freshness'
      notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications
are enabled
      event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler is
enabled
      flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
      process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
      retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
      retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
      check_period                    24x7
      notification_period             24x7
      register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUS
T A TEMPLATE!
      }

The service checks themselves have been in production use for many
months, so I'm pretty confident that the services are defined
correctly.  I'm using Nagios 1.0.  I've searched this mailing list, and
the Web, but haven't found this problem or a solution.

Thanks,
Eric